Micro-grants are a great first-tranche source of funding
The Center for Technology Commercialization manages a series of micro-grants of up to $9,000 (per small business) on behalf of the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC). Once we have determined if this is beneficial to you, you can apply either for an SBIR/STTR Assistance micro-grant or a Business/Commercialization micro-grant to obtain the services of our qualified Service Providers. The CTC micro-grants are staged in smaller tranches so that you can accomplish the necessary milestones for your project plan.
- Up to $4,500 per micro grant (up to $9,000) per small business per company to reimburse payment(s) to a CTC-approved service provider.
- Those starting or expanding a technology-based or research oriented business or a firm located in Wisconsin that relies on use of technology.*
Note: Some applicants may qualify for special status and may receive up to two (2) micro-grants of each type. Previous recipients of a WEN Early Planning Grant (EPG), Technology Assistance Grant (TAG), or Technology Assistance Grant SBIR (TAG-SBIR) may qualify to receive this special status. To determine if your company is eligible to receive a second micro-grant, please contact a CTC consultant.
- Development of an SBIR/STTR Phase I or Phase II proposal or other federal funding proposal
- Development of an SBIR/STTR Phase II Commercialization Plan or a comprehensive business plan
- Procurement of a CTC-approved market research study in support of a commercialization or business plan
- Contact the Center for Technology Commercialization (CTC) for intake and assessment including the creation of a Business Model Canvas with a formal request for a meeting.
- Submit an online application either for an SBIR/STTR Assistance micro-grant or a Business/Commercialization micro-grant
- Business Model Canvas (see a CTC Consultant for assistance)
- Quote for support from an approved CTC Service Provider
- SBIR/STTR Phase I technical proposal, or other funding proposal, or
- SBIR/STTR Phase II technical proposal, or other funding proposal, or
- SBIR/STTR Phase II Commercialization Plan, or
- Comprehensive business plan with three-to-five year financial projections
- Confirmation of full payment to CTC-approved Service Provider
*Examples of projects eligible for funding:
Energy and Biofuels
Apply for your Micro-grant and Next Steps
To apply for a micro-grant:
1) Contact a CTC consultant to determine if your project is eligible for a CTC micro-grant.
2) Select your Service Provider and obtain a quote from them for the scope of work they will complete.
4) Work with your CTC consultant and your approved Service Provider to complete your micro-grant deliverables.