New SBIR Advance Solicitation Opening January 2019
Use of Funds:
WEDC created the SBIR Advance program to provide state match funding, training, and other resources to Wisconsin businesses to advance the commercialization of SBIR/STTR-funded technology and expedite economic and job creation impact in Wisconsin. The program aims to fill critical funding gaps for activities such as market research, customer validation, patent development, business model development, and regulatory assessment restricted under federal awards.
SBIR Advance grants are used for commercialization activities that will accelerate business development and improve company opportunities for Phase 2 and Phase 3 federal awards and for investor funding. For details, please contact CTC’s Dr. Todd Strother.
Companies with a current Phase 1 SBIR/STTR award may be eligible to apply for a Phase 1 Match Grant. Companies with a current Phase 2 SBIR/STTR award may be eligible to apply for a Phase 2 Match Grant. WEDC gives preference to companies that are early stage and have won only one (1) Phase 2 award. Companies with more than two SBIR/STTR Phase 2 awards are not eligible for SBIR Advance.
To receive cash awards, awardees complete commercialization milestones designed to accelerate business development. Depending upon Phase 1 or Phase 2 match funding, activities will include completion of Lean Startup training, an approved commercialization plan or funding strategy, regulatory plan, or similar assessment as defined by the business need. Below is an overview of cash awards and associated milestones.
SBIR/STTR Phase 1 and 2 Match Milestones
- Phase 1 award match: Matches 50% up to $75K of Phase 1 SBIR or STTR awards. Grants will be paid out upon completion of Lean Startup training and customer development deliverables by a company team approved by CTC, completion of an approved draft commercialization plan, and upon successful submission of Phase 2 SBIR/STTR proposal as well as any final reporting required by CTC.
- Phase 2 award match: Matches up to $75K per year for up to 2 years of Phase 2 SBIR/STTR award. Awards will be paid out upon completion of designated milestones. Companies must apply each year for a $75K Phase 2 Match Grant. Eligible companies can apply for a second year Match Grant after they have completed the first year match milestones. Companies with less than 1 year left on a Phase 2 award can apply for only one year ($75K) of Match Grant.
The following companies are eligible to apply for the SBIR/STTR Matching Grant:
- Phase 1 Match Grant – Current/recent SBIR/STTR Phase 1 awardees that are Wisconsin based small businesses that are eligible for and intend to proceed to Phase 2, and
- Are currently conducting a Phase 1 SBIR project, or
- Have completed a Phase 1 project within the past 12 months AND are still eligible to submit a Phase 2 proposal.
- Companies that previously won more than Phase 2 SBIR/STTR awards in the last 4 years should not apply for a Phase 1 Match Grant.
Phase 1 applicants must identify a commercial team of at least 3 active participants including company senior leadership, and agree to participate in all sessions of the Lean Startup Training Program outlined below which starts on or around February 4, 2019.
- Phase 2 Match Grant –
- Applicants who have both a current Phase 1 and Phase 2 award should apply for a Phase 2 match.
- Applicants who have a previous Phase 2 Match grant award must complete the first Match grant milestones before applying for a second Phase 2 Match grant and must include a description of the first Match grant milestones and accomplishments and a justification for a second year of Match grant funding.
- Please contact Todd Strother to discuss eligibility to use SBIR Advance funds to match Phase 2B or other federal SBIR/STTR funding programs.
- If you have questions about eligibility please contact Dr. Todd Strother.
SBIR Advance Solicitation Schedule:
**If this is the first time applying for one of CTC's grants or if you've applied but BEFORE July 2017, you must create a new account on our grant management system.
**If you have applied for one of our grants since July of 2017, you already created an account. Please use that same login information when applying for SBIR Advance.
View the Winter 2018 Course Schedule Here
SBIR Advance Application Guidelines:
Contact Dr. Todd Strother (email@example.com) with any questions.